Thursday, November 10, 2011

Imaginary Internet Friends

Sometime last year I started talking to a few people I met online in various ways. It turned out there were some people on Facebook from Timothy's side of the family that I either didn't know well or didn't know at all. <Insert shout-out to Cousin Niki here> I have also communicated with a few of the podcasters I listen to and now consider some of those people friends. Even though I may not be able to pick all of these people out of a line up, I am happy to call them friends and my life is better because of them.

I was invited to be on a panel of a podcast called Geek Fights yesterday and because of all the stress I've been going through lately I almost just said no right away. Instead I stalled and thought about it for a day and remembered the last one I did was really fun and I could use a bit more of that right now so I said yes. It was actually even cooler than last time because I wasn't as nervous for this one. I got to hang out on Skype with a couple of guys I've talked to just twice before and two other guys I didn't know at all. We are all nerds in our own different ways and that was enough for me. I really had a blast! I stayed up way too late and had to hit up the 5 Hour Energy at work, but it was worth it. You can check out the podcast here and listen to my episode the week of Thanksgiving; it's called Best Family. Warning: this is not safe for work or little ears.

Remember when the Internet was new and scary and there were news stories about never talking to people you didn't know and we all had to learn not to give out real information like Social Security numbers and address? Well, I would reassert the part about social security numbers and address, but I would encourage anyone to reach out and have a conversation with someone new. Be it online or that girl at work whose name you always forget. You never know what you will find. I love when I find new people that share my interests and we can talk about Star Trek for example, but at the same time I am intrigued when I can learn something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment