Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I'm still here.....

It's been awhile. Sometimes life just has a way of getting busy. Last week I had to work... a lot! It was dreadful and I don't think I'm over it yet. It makes me sad to miss time with my family, but I have a good job and I shall not complain about it anymore!

Here are a couple of cute things for you to look at.....


This was our latest attempt at a slumber party for the boys. They both love the idea of sleeping in the same room, but only Collin seems to want to put that idea into practice. Owen will often say he wants to sleep in Collin's bed, but then as soon as the lights are out the fussing begins. They used to sleep on the floor in Owen's room all the time with their sleeping bags, but that doesn't go over so well anymore either. Owen is just freaked out by the idea of sleeping in a different place and can't get comfortable enough to fall alseep. This picture was taken right when they went to bed about 8:15. Owen slept and woke up a couple of times, but by 10:30 when I was wanting to be sleeping and he was still fussing we had to make the switch to his room. (Collin was already passed out by that time) Owen was upset at having to go to his own bed but as soon as he was there he was snoring.

Side note - Owen has been having problems going to sleep in general. He often asks me to sit on the floor next to his bed to hold his hand. Poor kid. He's been waking up sometimes in the middle of the night too, which is no fun for anyone. Several times a week I will wake up with him in bed with me only to vaguely remember him coming in our room in the night. He just doesn't like to be on his own to sleep, but apparently sleeping next to his brother just isn't good enough.

He was like this as a baby also. He would cry himself to the point of exhaustion but wouldn't go to sleep unless someone held him. Or if we weren't holding him we would swaddle him very tightly to trick him into thinking someone was holding him. I'm sure this is all my fault somehow. I should have been tougher on him, but when you have a newborn and a 2-year-old it's hard to get any sleep so there were many times I gave in to save my own sanity.

To be clear, I do not sit and hold his hand until he goes to sleep. We take turns going in to talk to him, but mostly he has to cry it out. I'm still not sure which is harder: listening to an infant cry it out or a 2-year-old. The baby is heartbreaking because they are so helpless and you just want to run in and save them, but the 2-year-old knows how to talk and will scream for you. Guess it sucks either way.

Longest side note ever?


I will leave you with a video I call "Music Man". This is Owen in his favorite Mickey pjs (Cousin Sheila gived dem to me!) playing his harmonica that Memaw and G-da got for him. Every time I hear a harmonica it reminds me of my Granny. I think she's the only person I know in real life that can play.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think there are any easy answers when it comes to putting the kids to sleep. I say whatever works for you, man. I thankfully have never had that problem. The only difficulty I have is that Oliver will ONLY sleep in his bed. Family vacations are a pain cause it take two to three nights before he'll go to sleep without an hour long scream fest.

    ReplyDelete