Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Long Evening

Just when you think everything is going smoothly, suddenly it's not anymore. But that's life for you.

Collin's teacher told me this afternoon that 2 kids from his class had been sent home with Strep Throat today. One of them also has Fifth's Disease, which I'm going to have to google later.  Collin had also been telling his teacher that his ear was broken this afternoon. Great.

We came home and I made dinner, which was really yummy by the way (boiled chicken, wild rice and veggies) and while that was cooking I checked Collin over the only way I know how. Flashlight shining down his throat revealed the nastiness and his temp was 100.4. So after we ate, and by 'we' I mean Timothy and I because the boys would rather go hungry than have something besides chicken nuggets, Collin and I were off to the after-hours clinic.

Normally I'm so grateful for this clinic. It's close by and only charges our regular co-pay of $15 instead of the $50 to go to Care Now and they are never very busy so we are in and out quickly. Not today. I swear if I have to hear about the new computer system that our doctor's office has one more time I'm going to jump over the counter and figure out the thing for myself. It CAN'T be as difficult as they make it out to be. This has been going on for 2 weeks now. So it took the very nice and frustrated lady 20 minutes to check us in, and I don't think she did it right. I'm expecting to get a large bill in the next few weeks because it was not filed correctly with the insurance. It was another 30-45 minutes until we got to see the doctor.

When the doctor came in he asked Collin what was wrong. He responded, "My ear is broken, but my cat has two broken ears. Oh and my mom is 30!" The doctor explained to Collin even if a lady is 30, you should still just say she's 29. (bless him) I explained to the nice puzzled doctor that our cat is deaf and is not in fact walking around with two mangled ears. Then after a bit of poking and prodding we were informed that Collin does indeed have an ear infection and most likely Strep as well. He decided there was no point in gagging him  to get a culture since he was going to give him antibiotics anyway. (bless him again)

Then we rolled on to Wal-Greens to get his Rx. Another 10 minute wait at the counter there and they announced it would be at least a 45 minute wait. By this time it's already 8:00 and Collin is supposed to be in bed by 8:30 so that means I have to go home and get him into bed and come back to get his meds. Great again. He cracked me up again by telling the Pharmacy tech "I have a broken ear, but I get to stay home tomorrow." To which the tech replied, "Well done. That should be fun." Then Collin called over his shoulder as we were leaving, "My dad is CRAZY!" I just can't take that child anywhere.

I got home and brushed little boy teeth and we put Owen and Collin to bed. Collin got some Tylenol for his fever. Then I washed the dishes from dinner and went back out to Wal-Greens for the Rx. Came home again and gave Collin his first dose so hopefully his ear won't hurt so much when he wakes up. Poor kid.  Now it's time to crash. I hope I remember to call in to work tomorrow.

In other news, Owen's new hobby is making himself toot. He's such a gas.

2 comments:

  1. Poor Collin! I may just be the hippie part of the family, but have you heard of using a salt sock for an ear infection? It's practically free, and I swear by it. Really. I don't want to give you unsolicited advice, so let me know if you're interested in more information.

    He is a FUNNY kid! I giggled my way through this post. I hope he heals quickly and that you get some rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niki, I love advice. Send away!
    Oh and I think he's on his way to feeling better. Fever didn't last long, but his ear still aches.

    ReplyDelete