Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Good Guys Always Win.... right?

I'm sure I'm not the one breaking the new to you that Osama Bin Laden has been killed in an attack by the U.S. so why does it seem like I'm the only one not cheering for joy? Don't get me wrong! I'm very happy that he will not be able to hurt anyone else, but I just find it a bit uncomfortable to be happy that someone was killed. Has liberalism crushed my sense of patriotism?

I just watched Obama's speech and there were two things that struck me. First, when he said something like, "All peace loving people should be jubilant at Bin Laden's demise." Am I being instructed by my president to be happy? I don't think I like being told what to feel. Then again maybe someone does need to tell me how to feel, because obviously I'm confused. Second, was something like, "When I was elected in 2008 I made it clear to the CIA and other intelligence that the death or capture of Bin Laden will be the top priority of this war." Again, those are not exact words, just how I remember it. So, what? Like Bush didn't care if he got the bad guy or not? Just thought it sounded like Obama was taking a bit too much credit on that one. I guess that's politics for you. It's such a mess! They all lie and twist their words; I hate it.

So did anyone watch William and Kate get married the other day, because that was lovely. In the words of either Fred or George Weasley, "Just trying to diffuse the tension."

Hope you all had a nice Easter. I hope my next post will be about ours.

By the way, in my attempt to leave political views off of Facebook, I'm not posting a link there this time. If you still happen to find this, I hope you're not too disappointed that there are no cute kid stories in this one. Sometimes it's just about me.

1 comment:

  1. I share your feelings about politicians, and politics in general: it's ugly, and I generally despise the way our politicians behave in this country, and President Obama does not get a free pass in that.

    But fair is fair, and he didn't say those things you mentioned above. I remember a few lousy pundits saying something about everyone being "jubilant," but that's all. I see what you're saying - the general tone of the speech was pride in someone's death, or rather the symbolism of his death, but over all, I feel like he was patting military and intelligence on the back, he gave a shout out to Bush, and offered renewed sympathies to families and friends of victims of the horrible atrocities of al-Qaeda.

    ReplyDelete