Thursday, May 26, 2011

Gotta Get My Nerd On!

Collin had his Pre-K Graduation on Friday! It was awesome, but I don't have the pictures ready from that one yet so that will be a future post.

On Saturday Collin and I went to Dallas Comic Con! It was pretty nifty. I've never been to a convention before and I wasn't sure what to expect. Everyone I interacted with was very nice. It sort of reminded me of the 6 hours I waited in line to get Star Wars Episode I tickets. (Hey you know we were ALL excited about seeing that at the time! :P) We met up with my friend Angela and her family and just had a geeky time. We saw lots of people in amazing costumes like this:





There were also some costumes that were not amazing at all, but that's okay too, it's all in good fun. There was a very realistic Klingon walking around, but I was a bit nervous to take his picture since they are known for their bad tempers. Most people were perfectly willing to pose for pictures if you asked them, but I just wasn't willing to ask.

I also met another friend at the Con for the first time. She helps with a podcast called Geek Fights and has been on several episodes, including the one I was on about Harry Potter. I felt like I was meeting one of my imaginary friends. :-) It's a bit different to be so used to someone's voice before you ever see their face. She was very nice and even had a light saber duel with Collin. Oh and by the way, where else call you tell someone, "I'll meet you at the T.A.R.D.I.S." ? How cool! Speaking of:




I need to hang out with nerds more often and in nerdier places. Since I surround myself with nerdy things like podcasts and 'imaginary friends' and movies/tv shows, sometimes I forget that my real life friends have no idea what I'm talking about half the time. I find myself having to make an effort especially at work to hold myself back from saying things that pop into my head because I know I will get the stares. While my work friends know better than to ask me what I thought about last night's American Idol, they get a glossy look when I bring up Star Trek. We just have to stick to general topics. It can be frustrating sometimes. For example, it was probably about 4 years ago on Doctor Who when it was revealed that Captain Jack was the Face of Boe. Timothy and I were so shocked and excited, but I didn't have anyone else that I could share that with. I started asking random people if they watched Doctor Who and not only did no one else watch it, but only one or two people had even heard of it! I'm grateful that I'm married to a nerd that, while he may not understand all of my obsessions, at least he understands what it's like to have nerdy obsessions. 

I'm also very proud of the two little nerds we are raising. Tonight we were watching Tarzan and at the part where he comes out wearing his father's black jacket Owen piped up, "Look it's Harry Potter!" I guess he thought it looked like a wizard robe. Maybe? Whatever his logic, I think it's great that he thinks of these things on his own. I think I may have mentioned before that Owen's favorite song has been (since he was 6 months old) the theme from Enterprise. They both recognize the themes from all the Star Treks, except maybe for Voyager. Collin knows how to say several of the spells from Harry Potter and his favorite show is MythBusters that he watches every week with Timothy. We try to mix it up and expose them to different things and let them discover what they like. Which is kinda what life is all about.

If you've made it this far, then I'm willing to bet you are a nerd too, whether you consider yourself one or not. It's not all about Sci-fi you know. You may be a cooking nerd, or a craft or sewing nerd. Maybe a music nerd or movie nerd. Leave me a comment below and let me know what kind of nerd are you?

2 comments:

  1. You can always talk to me about nerd stuff. I know what you mean about the Dr Who stuff. Its frustrating that more people here in The States don't know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a nerd nerd. I love nerds. That may sound like I'm kidding, but I'm not. I love nerds because they like what they like because they truly are passionate about it - whatever "it" is, it truly speaks to their heart(s) (hat tip to Doctor fans), and not because People magazine told them to like it.

    ReplyDelete