Friday, August 27, 2010

Introducing....

Since you're reading this you probably know all about me, but for the benefit of those that don't or if it's been awhile since we've seen each other, I thought a brief introduction was in order. I'm Janet (hello) and I'll be doing the writing. My husband, Timothy, and I have been married for 7 years and we have 2 awesome boys: Collin is 4 and a half and Owen just turned 2.
Timothy and I met when we started high school together in 1994 and we were good friends all through school. We were in band together and that's just the start of our nerdiness. He played percussion and I played flute and did flags or color guard or whatever you kids are calling it these days. We stayed in touch pretty regularly for a couple of years after school but then drifted apart as people tend to do. Then I sent him a Christmas card in 2002 with my email address and it was awesome how easily we reconnected. We 'dated' for the first time in January 2003 for exactly 4 days before he proposed and I accepted! We got married in May of that year. We are both working full time to get all the bills paid. I have a boring office job that I love and Timothy is a land surveyor which I think he likes okay. We both have a bunch of nerdy interests that I'm sure you will hear more about all too soon. Our main mutual nerdy bond is Star Trek.
Collin is our little inquisitive scientist. He loves anything to do with space and astronomy, Mythbusters. reading, baseball, volcanoes and Super Mario. He is very smart and I'm not just saying that because he's mine, although I do admit I'm a bit biased. We still have a year before he starts kindergarten, but he is already reading a lot of words and sounding out his letters. He likes to ask questions that require the internet for me to answer: "If the Earth was in a really big ocean would it float or sink?" and "Why would I be flat as a pancake if I lived on Jupiter?" (Okay I could answer that second one without help, but if you know how to answer that first one in 4-year-old language then you get 10 nerd points.) He is in Pre-K class at daycare and loves playing with his friends and 'reading' all the books in his classroom.
Owen is our little ball of energy! For awhile we called him Spaz because he seemed incapable of holding still for more than half a second. He has calmed down a bit and doesn't automatically reach for anything shiny anymore but he is still all over the place all the time. In the last few months he has really started talking and it's so fun to catch a peek of what is in his head. Owen is a pretty smart kiddo himself. He is learning his letters and knows about 12 so far. He loves Mickey Mouse, stuffed animals and endlessly reading books. He will bring us a book every 3 minutes and ask us to read to him, then as soon as one of us finishes the book he will take it right to the other parent and ask them to read it again! He is also in daycare all day and mostly loves his teachers and friends.
Well that is the Nowell family in a nutshell, which is actually fitting because we are a bunch of nuts. Thanks for spending a few minutes with us today.

2 comments: