Sunday, October 31, 2010

The H word

I know I promised a couple of posts ago that I would explain my quirks with October 31st. First I'll just say that I know I'm in the minority here and I'm not trying to convince anyone... just stating my position. Here it is: I think it's lame. That's it. What? Not enough.... ?

It irks me that people call it a holiday. The word holiday came from "holy day". So far doesn't qualify. Well, now the definition has come to include any day where "observation is warranted". I guess that's up to you. If you look up the history of halloween it's straight out of the middle ages and if we are still doing that then we might as well tie Hermione to a stake.

I know some people think it's so much fun to dress up and dress up the kids and the dog and decorate the house and the yard and their desks at work and whatever else they can get their hands on. I just don't get it. To me the biggest thing I have to worry about is trying not to take the kids into Wal-Greens for two months because the decorations freak them out. Oh that and explaining to people why I'm not as excited as they are. The house across the street has ghost decorations and Owen thinks they are bunnies. You think I corrected him?

I am the only person I know that has never been trick-or-treating. My parents (hi mom!) had pretty extreme views of halloween when I was growing up. I used to think that when I was old enough I would just go all out and that would show them. But instead I grew up and asked myself "what is the point?" I never have come up with a good answer, so here I am: the Scrooge of halloween. 

I would let the kids dress up if they wanted to, although I draw the line at trick-or treating. I just think it's rude to knock on a door and expect them to give you candy. Collin has had a costume for the last two years, but he has never wanted to wear it on the day, or in front of people. I don't blame him, I would feel silly too. As for Owen... we are still trying to talk that child into wearing pj's to bed. He spent the entire day today in just his diaper and loved every second of it. Good luck trying to get a costume on that one.

So again, not trying to convince anyone, just saying I'm gonna need a better reason to go out of my way. None of this stuff is fun for me. Bah humbug.

Don't worry, I'll cheer up for Thanksgiving. There is always something to be thankful for... like the kids in my neighborhood respecting the porch light and not ringing my bell. :)

1 comment: