Monday, September 27, 2010

Janet and the terrible, horrible, no good very bad day.... that ended rather nicely

Owen has been sick all weekend. Nothing too bad, just a low fever and very tired and fussy, which makes me tired and fussy too. Last night he woke up crying about 1:45 with no fever but very thirsty apparently. We had a discussion about how how should have water because I'm a big fan of nothing but water after teeth have been brushed and don't want him to have something sugary right before he sleeps. I should have known that the middle of the night was no time for advice about good dental habits. He wanted chocolate milk but we settled on apple juice. Timothy got up to get him the juice and had to search for a sippy cup because we don't use those very often and don't have many anymore. Owen drained the half-cup of juice and wanted more right away so it was my turn to fetch it. This time he decided he needed a big cup and didn't want the sippy cup. Of course I told him no to that (keep in mind he is in our bed at this point) but he insisted and took off for the kitchen. I poured a bit of the juice into the big cup for him which he drank then decided he wanted the sippy cup back. By the time he went to sleep it was almost 3:00 and I didn't get back to sleep till much later, partially due to the apple juice dripping out of the no-drip sippy cup onto my shoulder and my pillow.

We all had to be up early because we had to drop off Timothy at his office at 6:00 so he could leave to work out of town for the week. After we said our good-byes the boys and I had some time to kill because I start work at 7:30. We went to Burger King and had breakfast and the kids played in the play area. Owen couldn't climb all the way up on his own because the steps were soo big, so that means I had to climb into the thing too. (between that and the apple juice it was not turning out to be a glamorous morning for yours truly) Funny side note: I remember climbing into the same play area to help Collin get to the top when I was pregnant with Owen. That was another time when I was glad there was no one around with a camera. So every time they come down the slide they have to get another bite to eat or a drink and during one such break Owen dumps his chocolate milk ALL over his shirt. I blame his confusion on the sippy cup incident mentioned earlier.

Finally, 6:55 I tell them one more time down the slide and it's time to go. Owen does not agree with this assessment and is quite vocal about his opinion. I climb in one more time to help him up and (sniff sniff) what's that? Oh Owen! I didn't bring the diaper bag because we are going right to daycare where the have all the diapers. I then have to drag my screaming, chocolate milk covered, stinky 2 year-old out to the car. I didn't mention yet, but we had a cold front come in and it was in the upper 40's to lower 50's this morning but SOMEONE didn't bother to check the weather because everyone who lives here knows it's always Summer until Halloween, so needless to say my boys were in shorts and t-shirts today. Oops! It was not my proudest Mom moment to walk into daycare this morning with my messy, stinky, fussy, freezing child. At least poor Collin was just freezing. I changed Owen's diaper and kissed the boys and off to work to try to relax and recover from my long morning.

After sleep-walking through my morning I decided to go to the QT (gas station) across the street at lunch because I'd noticed one of my tires was low. I went in a bought a tire gauge (I swear I used to have one of those) then filled my tires to the prescribed pressure like the model motorist that I am. ha! I got back to work and was walking into the building when I realized that I couldn't remember if I had put my debit card in my pocket or back in my wallet. Of course it was in either of those places. Panic! Back to the car, dump out the purse, tear up the car.... nothing. Uh-oh, I threw my receipt and the package for the tire gauge into the trash at QT, could I have thrown away my debit card? Back to the QT, it's been a whole 10 minutes and they have already emptied the trash can. Are you kidding me? It wasn't even close to full! Of course the guys inside haven't found it. Acceptance. Anger. Bad words. Call the bank and cancel the card and now I get to wait 5-7 days for a new one. Timothy will be home before I get my new card. Sigh.

By the time I picked up the boys it was a nice warm afternoon and I no longer felt bad about the whole shorts thing. We came home and they watched Mickey Mouse while I tried to de-stress. We had an easy dinner and had two video chats with Daddy before bedtime. Both boys were really good tonight and I even got to take a shower without anyone interrupting me. They played nice with each other except for bath time which was a bit messy for all of us. Owen fussed about going to bed, but I think he mostly missed his Daddy. My boys like their routine what can I say? Can you think of a better way to end the night than with brownies?! Yum! Brownies just make everything better.


Here's to a better tomorrow! Good night.

3 comments:

  1. Man what a day! Things always go wrong when Daddy goes out of town at our house too. And you are right, brownies do make things better. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least today was better and we are one day closer to Daddy coming home now. And I still have some brownies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now you're even closer, but maybe I'll leave the rest of the story to you. Sorry it's been such a rough week. You're Wonder Woman, and even Wonder Women have off mom moments. Yours just all happened in the span of 20 minutes one day. :)
    I'll say lots of prayers for you guys. I know you must be exhausted. I think you would be within your rights to high-five Timothy tomorrow, and peace out.

    ReplyDelete