Friday, December 3, 2010

The Aged P

Today was another trial in the life of the grown child trying to care for the elderly parent, or as I like to affectionately call my dad, The Aged P. It's from Great Expectations. Go read it if you haven't already.

The Aged is 76 years old and is so irresponsible with money that I'm starting to wonder if he understands the concept. His life revolves around that social security check and he can't wait to spend it and loves planning different ways of spending it. He get sucked into every scam imaginable and wastes so much money. I'm convinced there is a special place in Hell for people that prey on the elderly. Why can't we live on the Enterprise already?! I'm so sick of everyone obsessing about money. There is never enough of it, everyone wants more. Why can't we just learn to be happy with what we have?

Obviously, The Aged is no longer playing with a full deck. He has been diagnosed with dementia and possibly/probably Alzheimer's. Whatever you want to call it, it sucks. It really blows to lose someone while they are still with you. He's not the same guy that raised me anymore. The man that was my Daddy was strong and smart and kind and creative. This new guy that took over his body is just mental. He is constantly confused and doesn't know what's going on half the time.

He lives on his own and the place is a mess. I'm convinced that he would be better off in a nursing home. Even though there is nothing physically wrong with him, I don't believe he takes care of himself very well. He doesn't like to discuss the matter because any place that he would move to he A: wouldn't get his monthly check anymore because it would go toward his care while the state picks up the rest of the tab and B: wouldn't get to take all his junk with him. Including a collection of plastic Wal-Mart bags large enough to take over a room. He doesn't even want to make me his power of attorney because he doesn't want anyone calling the shots but him. (Have I mentioned I think I get my stubbornness from him?) So as I understand it the only way I can make him go to a home if he doesn't want to would involve a court battle. I really don't like the thought of having to form a case against The Aged.

At this point he is choosing to not pay his bills, which I think makes him a danger to himself. I had to pay to turn his electricity back on a few days ago. It was going to be in the lower 30's that night! Then when he got paid today he was ready to go give it all to the scammers again and put off the bills for another month. Luckily I was able to convince him that it would be in his best interest to keep the lights and the phone on so he agreed to give me some money to pay his bills.

I guess we will do this all again next month, and in the meantime I should probably call a lawyer. :( If any of you have any advice on this or if you have been through this process before I would really appreciate some feed back.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you should think about writing for extra income? That is a perfect description of the situation.

    ReplyDelete